A dynamic and committed CEO, with a proven track record of P&L delivery across a number of verticals and customer groups including private banking, wealth management, insurance, commercial banking, personal financial services and leasing, including Shariah compliant products. An adaptable executive with specific experience of turn-around situations, green-fields, business development and joint ventures. He has worked in a variety of roles within the HSBC Group, including at Board level, and with Gulf Finance Corporation.
- Establishing and developing long-term sustainable businesses, implementing business-orientated growth strategies and achieving financial targets
- Delivering complex projects on time and within budget in challenging operating environments
- Developing long-term business relationships and managing complex stakeholder groups with divergent interests, including managing relationships with regulators
- Dynamic leadership and team-working skills with experience of engaging and developing people from diverse cultures, managing talent, leading change and building employee engagement
- Focusing on serving customers and achieving results. This includes skills of creative thinking, decision making and problem solving, as well as the ability to take tough decisions in the long-term interests of the business.
CEO Gulf Finance UAE and CEO Gulf Finance Saudi Arabia (Sept, 2013- 2016)
After successfully establishing and leading Gulf Finance Saudi Arabia invited by the Shuaa Group Board to lead Gulf Finance UAE. Key achievements include:
- Turning around the company from a loss of AED 8 million in 2013 to a profit of AED 20M in 2014 by actively reducing the cost base, introducing a new sales strategy and enhancing the product range
- Developed and built a new brand around a newly defined market positioning of “small business is our business”
- Grew asset book from AED 550M to AED 1 billion from 2013 to 2015
- Successfully closed first syndicated loan deal for a Finance Company in the UAE of AED 500 million
- Initiated and developed tie ups with global brands such as Cisco Capital, JCB and Xerox
- Built an experienced management team and obtained above industry average employee engagement scores
CEO Gulf Instalments, Saudi Arabia (2012-2013)
- Established a new instalment company in Saudi Arabia in 2012
- Successfully obtained one of the first finance company licenses, from SAMA, under the newly introduced Finance Lease law
- Underwrote over SAR 100 million of new leases in first year of operation and broke even after 8 months of operation
- Successfully recruited a high quality management team with over 50% Saudisation
Head of New Markets, Gulf Finance UAE (2011-2012)
- Completed feasibility studies to establish a leasing business for the MENA markets
- Successfully obtained Shuaa Group Board approval to establish a SAR 100M lease finance business in Saudi Arabia
Head of Insurance, HSBC Bank Middle East (Sept 2008 – June 2011)
This was a new appointment to develop HSBC’s insurance business across a diverse and fast-growing region. It included being the Managing Director, a Board member and the Chairmanship of the Executive Committee of SABB Takaful, a publicly quoted Saudi insurance company. Achievements include:
- Launching and establishing insurance businesses in 10 geographies, making HSBC the largest bancassurer within the Middle East. Increasing market share in Egypt from 6% to 8% to be the fourth largest player.
- Growing insurance revenues by 40 % from $31.4 M in 2009 to $ 43.9 M in 2010. Increasing PBT by 23% 2009 v 2010 to $24.2 M by combining wider product availability, increased sales volumes and strategic re-pricing
- Launched new products such as “Simply Protect” within the UAE which generated USD 2 million of commissions in the first year of sales.
- Developed a governance structure by establishing the Middle East regional Insurance Executive Committee
- Leading SABB Takaful, a JV start up insurance company in Saudi Arabia, to an embedded value profit after 2½ years of operation. Obtained 30% of the Protection and Savings market.
- Developed highly productive, sustainable relationships with Preferred Strategic Partners (PSPs) to provide a range of products for HBME customers across the region
- Developing a strategic plan and clear vision for the business in the region and supporting the strategy of HSBC Insurance worldwide
- Establishing a senior leadership team with clear priorities and measurable objectives
Managing Director, SABB Takaful Company (2007 – 2009) and Head of Insurance Saudi Arabia
This leadership role involved establishing the commercial success of a joint venture Saudi public company with a market capitalisation of SAR 700 million (USD 200 million). Achievements include:
- Completing a SAR 35M IPO that was over seven times subscribed and raising a further SAR 300M by way of the first insurance company rights issue in Saudi Arabia
- Achieving Gross Written Premiums of USD 100M in 2009 (growth of over 100% from 2008)
- Receiving the Euromoney Award for the Best Takaful Operator 2009, The International Takaful Award for Best Takaful Product for the Simple Savings Plan and International Takaful Award for Best Marketing
- Building a strong senior management team and 60% Saudisation ratio for the company. Achieving employee engagement scores of 75% and 79% in 2007 and 2008 respectively
Managing Director (Designate), SABB Takaful Company (2005 – 2007)
This role involved planning and project managing all aspects of a new joint venture insurance company through to its launch (ownership is SABB 32.5%, HSBC 32.5% and public 35%). The business was established under Saudi Arabia’s newly-introduced insurance regulations and meant working closely with the Insurance Regulator and Capital Markets Authority. Achievements include:
- Establishing a composite Takaful company selling Family and General Takaful products, with a market value of USD 100M
- Establishing a multi-channel sales platform with a call centre and internet presence as well as branch and sales teams operating through a bancassurance model with SABB
- Recruiting and leading the implementation team
- Customising and implementing a major new IT platform supporting the business
- Creating an initial range of savings and protections products for personal and corporate customers which were approved by the regulator (SAMA) and being first to market
Senior Executive, Strategy, Riyadh, Saudi British Bank (2003 – 2005)
This role involved developing the strategic plan to transform SABB from a bank into a financial services Group, encompassing a JV investment bank, a JV insurance company and an insurance brokerage. Other achievements include: 1) producing an insurance business plan, approved by SABB and HSBC Boards, to establish a joint venture insurance company and a joint venture brokerage company. 2) Negotiating the exit from a long-term distribution agreement with AIG and saving USD 10 million. 3) Delivering a wealth management strategy employing 50 financial planning managers. 4) Working with SABB senior executives and external consultants to reposition HR as a more customer-focused team.
Senior Manager, Strategy Implementation, Riyadh, Saudi British Bank (2002 – 2003)
Responsible for: implementing SABB’s three year strategic plan (2002 to 2005); preparing quarterly reports for the Executive Committee and Board; reviewing potential acquisitions, and taking a ‘hands on’ approach to ensure that strategic initiatives were delivered on schedule.
Manager, Personal Banking, Jordan HSBC Bank Middle East (1999 – 2002)
Achievements during this period include: increasing net profits by from USD 1.5m to USD 2.6m; implementing a restructuring strategy to close non-performing branches; establishing new distribution channels including ‘sales offices’, in-store branches and direct sales teams; improving cross-sales ratios from 1.3 to 1.64.
Manager Corporate Banking, Eastern Province, Saudi British Bank (1996 – 1999)
Responsible for a corporate portfolio of USD 500m with net profits of USD 10m. During this period I developed fifty major client relationships and generated new business of USD 100m through active marketing.
Senior Representative, Private Banking, Trinkaus & Burkhardt (International) SA, Hong Kong (1993 – 1995)
This involved: managing clients’ funds and portfolios of USD 400m and developing new investment strategies. Achievements include: increasing deposits and funds under management by USD200m and leading the merger of the Luxembourg private banking operations of HSBC.
Manager, Treasury, British Bank of the Middle East, Oman (1991 to 1993)
Achievements include: increasing profits from Treasury operations by introducing 30 new corporate clients; introducing new products to Oman and managing a balance sheet of USD 350m.
Account Manager, Credit Control, Hong Kong Bank, Hong Kong (1989 to 1991)
Successes during this period include: recovering over USD 50m from default accounts; managing the bank’s Nigerian Debt portfolio in default, and managing over 50 receiverships, liquidations and bankruptcies.
Assistant Manager, Branches, Hong Kong Bank, Brunei (1988 to 1989)
I set up the internal audit system for six sub-branches, managed the retail lending portfolio and the import/export department. I began my HSBC career in 1987 with International Officer Training in Hong Kong and Singapore.
Professional Qualifications and Education
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) Degree in Banking and Finance (First Class Honours), Loughborough University of Technology, UK
- Associate of the Chartered Institute of Bankers (ACIB)
- Financial Studies Diploma, Chartered Institute of Bankers (Dip FS)
- Certificate for Financial Advisors (CeFA)
Personal Information and Contact Details
A British citizen born in December 1964. In my free time I am an enthusiastic sportsman and enjoy triathlon, tennis and ski-ing.